Thursday, March 16, 2017

Poetry I Like: Silver Boxes

Silver Boxes



My words were harsh and hasty

And they came without a thought.

Then I saw the pain and anguish

That my bitter words had brought.




Bitter words that I had spoken

Made me think back through the past;

of how many times I'd uttered

Biting words whose pain would last.




Then I wondered of the people

I had hurt by what I'd said;

All the ones I had discouraged

WHen I didn't use my head.




Then I thought about my own lifd,

Of painful words I've heard;

And of the times I'd been discouraged

By a sharp and cruel word.




ANd now clearly I remember

All tne things I might have done;

But, by a word I was discouraged

ANd they never were begun.




Lord, help my words be silver boxes,

Neatly wrapped up with a bow;

That I give to all so freely,

As through each day I gladly go.




Silver boxes full of treasure,

Precious gifts from God above;

That all the people I encounter

Might have a box of GOd's own love.




Michael Bright 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment