Sunday, September 10, 2017

Soccer Coach

I first coached soccer for AYSO.  I coached the team from Hyrum, 11 and 12 year olds.  I did not grow up with soccer, so this was all learning for me.  I coached kids from the community.
However after I was a father, I coached my kids.  This was in the Cupertino, West San Jose league.  I would usually coach them until about 12, and then hand them over to others who had been coaching longer.  I figured they would have more to teach them.
Major League Soccer would send people to give trainings every year.  These trainings would include material to help with organizing practice.  They would give books with suggested games.  I also purchased a book, Soccer Practice games: 120 games for technique, Training and Tactics by Joe Loxbacher.  I found parts of this book very helpful.  Others too advanced for the age I was teaching.  Crab soccer was always a favorite, and taught both positioning and endurance and strength.  I also liked some of the throw-in games, ass well as the go games.  Some of the warm=up activities would include dribbling and then squash the ball, or side-to-side, or "I've got an injury."  This would help with stretching.
I must admit, I ways always offensive minded in soccer.  I had difficulty teaching defensive skills.  However over the years I got better at this.  I think I coached most of my kids, Mark and Jeremy and Caleb for sure.  Also Charity played for me one year, and Sheri coached Miranda one year.  My kids wee always some of the better on the team.  We played in the district tournament several years, meaning we took first or second.
I always enjoyed this.  When the kids were older, I converted to officiating.  I use to particularly enjoy lines, but I did officiate in the middle as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment