Friday, December 16, 2016

Fires in Hyrum

I was thinking about fires in Hyrum during my growing up years.  Hyrum had a volunteer fire department.  It was common to follow the fire ruck to see what was going on if the siren ever went off.  (It wasn't common.)  Our neighbors across the street had a fire.  If my memory doesn't escape me the Hailstones were living in the home.  It was pretty scary, but everyone escaped.  You know how rumors are, and the rumor was someone was playing with matches in a bedroom.  I don't know if there is any truth to that.  The house was a total loss, and the Hailstones moved to a different home in Hyrum.  There was also a fire at the Doctor's Offie.  We were at school, and all got close enough to see what was happening.  We were so relieved to know it wasn't the theater burning down, which was next door.  However a few years later, the movie theater did burn.
Most other fires I noticed were grass fires and that kind of thing.  I am not sure if any other structures had fires in Hyrum during the time we lived there.  I am sure there are more.

No comments:

Post a Comment