Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Have I Ever Been Persecuted for my Beliefs

After listening to Elder Hollands conference this April, it got me thinking about whether or not I have ever been persecuted for my faith.  I grew up in a sheltered environment, with very little to challenge me, although there were those who hinted at ridicule, I never took them serious.  In Argentina the worse I think was people would drive by and say "Go Home Germans" but I never really took this seriously either.  I was not a German.  In my first area there was a man, with obvious mental health issues, who looked like Moses, and he would yell at us from his window when we walked by.  I also remember meeting a protestant minister who wanted to yell at us because we didn't believe in drinking coffee.
After my mission, I can't say there has been much real challenge to my face; at least not directly.  However I am very much offended when people said they would not vote for Mitt Romney because he was Mormon.  I feel that shows some bigotry.  Also the coinage of Proposition H8 I think shows some anger.  It is OK for people to have different opinions and not have anything at all to do with hate. 
So specifically, I must say my persecutions have been mild.  However collectively, I feel the general sense of persecution against those who stand up for morality.  We are in that age the Isaiah foresaw when good is called evil and evil is called good.
Isisah 5: 20-21:  20 ¶Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
 21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes and prident in their own sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment