Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Idaho Falls: Lincoln School Lunches

We lived in Idaho, with grandma Wright, for the second half of my first  grade year.  We had left the farm in Othello and were in transition.  Lincoln Elementary was almost directly across from Grandma's house.  Even so, we usually ate lunch at the school, although some days we would go home; but the lunch period was short.
They had the policy you had to take three bites of everything before you could throw it out.  One day for lunch, they served ghoulash, elbow macaroni with stewed tomatoes.  I don't know about anyone else, but I still don't like stewed tomatoes, and even less so in the first grade.  I tried to not eat them.  But you had to have your plated examined before you could toss it.  I remember the principal or an assistant hovering over me as I was required to eat the stuff.  Later I would get smarter and put crap like that in the milk carton.  I got on spoonful down, but I had to chew slowly.  The second spoonful was too much.  I lost everything I had eaten for lunch, and maybe some breakfast. 
The guy sent me home.  But I didn't go.  I felt great afterwards.  He saw me later and asked why I hadn't gone home, and I said I felt fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment