Thursday, January 31, 2013

Brother Day: Story Teller


Brother Day was a speech student at Southern Illinois University.  He was a large man.  I don’t know what came of him.  I don’t know if he was local to Illinois or there just for school.  In fact, I don’t even remember his first name; just Brother Day.
Man could he tell a story!  He introduced me to many scary stories as he would do campfire stories at the fathers and sons outings.  He often would tell Edgar Alan Poe stories.  I am sure he didn’t read the entire story, but make it scary and interesting.  Some of the classic stories he introduced me to were “The Raven,” “Tell Tale Heart” and “Monkey’s Paw” (Not Edgar Alan Poe but similar type.)  He also would throw in some twists such as the story of the big monster and the traveling salesman.  This was really scary, until the big monster is about to get the traveling salesman, and then says “tag, you’re it.” 
Brother Day also did a humorous skit which has stuck with me and I enjoy even today.  I use to sing the tea pot song as a small child so this really caught me.  He would sing the teapot song with both his hands on his hips.  You have to imagine this chubby man with his hands on his hips.  It was funny just to look at him, and he really did look like a piece of china.   Each time he would get stuck on the part about the spout, “I’m a little tea pot short and stout, here is my handle, here is my... “  He would be looking at his arm on his hip.  He would be frustrated and then start the song again.  “I’m a little tea pot short and stout, here is my handle, here is my... “  On the third they he would say, “By golly, I’m a sugar bowl.”  That was funny, and he had that knack for story telling some people have.

No comments:

Post a Comment