Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Memories: Othello

Halloween Memories: Othello
Othello is of course where I have my first memories of Halloween.  I can’t remember my costume, but I know one of my first costumes was as a skeleton.  Weldon and I actually had the same costume, but different sizes.  Othello was a rural community, and we lived outside of town.  I do not remember going into town to trick-or- treat.  Maybe my older siblings did that.  Instead we would load into the car, and go so particular people who were friends, but lived far away from each other so there were not a lot of stops for us to gather candy.  Each stop was more a social visit than today’s trick-or-treating.  Some reason, I was always asked to sing.  I think I started singing as early as three-years old.  I would always sing the same song: “I’m a Little Teapot.”  “I’m a little teapot short and stout, Here is my handle and here is my spout.  When I get all steamed up then I shout, Tip me over and poor me out.”  My brothers and sisters liked for me to sing.  It got them off the hook, as it was a common request in Othello to ask trick-or-treaters to sing.  Also they liked it as they said it got us more goodies.  I guess I was good enough that we were all rewarded.

1 comment:

  1. Charlie Wardle: I remember that tea pot song I had to sing with you. I was sure glad that when we moved to Hyrum we didn't have to sing a song to get a treat.

    ReplyDelete